Thursday, March 19, 2009

Wiser Older Woman

The MOPS, (Mothers of Preschoolers), group at our church, has invited several older women to host a panel for the younger moms to ask questions about parenting, marriage and the spiritual life of their family.
Paula has been attending MOPS for several year, Andrea and Amanda started this year since they are home with preschoolers. And I have helped with the preschoolers for a couple of years also. The Moms have a meeting, the preschoolers have a Bible class and playtime.
I feel honored to be asked to be on this panel. Not that I am wise, but I have experienced many of the same situations that concern these Moms.
The Moms submitted a list of questions and concerns for the panel. I am so excited to be able to share some things that helped me when I was home with preschoolers.
This has inspired me to examine my own spiritual life, and do some intense Bible study.
Also to remember the woman I consider to be my mentor in my walk with Christ. Patsy Jackson was my children's first Sunday School teacher. Patsy taught the 2 year olds at Woodhaven. I still remember her teaching Brad "God Made The Birds That Fly In The Sky". I now have the honor of teaching my children's children and more children that song.
One of the first scriptures that I went to in my Bible study was Proverbs 31, the virtuous woman. She works from the rising sun to the setting sun, grows her own food, makes her own clothes, is kind to others, her family praises her. How can we even begin to be a virtuous woman?
Thankfully, Jesus loves us even when we are not that virtuous woman. The love that Jesus gave, unconditional love, eternal love, we need only to accept it to receive the peace that passeth understanding.
Somehow I want to share with those Moms what Jesus has given me. The gift of salvation, the love of Jesus has helped me grow and find happiness. I have been poor, I have been sad, I have yelled at my children, and husband, I have been despondent, embrassed, ashamed, I have sinned. But I know that Christ has forgiven my past, present and future sins.
Please pray for me as I prepare with prayer and Bible study for this panel, that I will be able to share and help these young Moms as they strive to be Godly women.
Also, please share with me your favorite scriptures that help you and guide you.

2 comments:

Amber said...

I love that you are teaching preschoolers Bible class and teaching them the songs! I have wonderful memories of Wood Haven and learning Bible songs! I know the ladies at MOPS will be encouraged by your answers during the panel!

My favorite scriptures that lead my everyday life are:

Be joyful always. Pray continually. Give thanks in all circumstances, for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus.
1 Thessalonians 5:18

Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving present your requests to God.
Philippians 4:6

I can do everything through Christ who gives me strength.
Philippians 4:13

Angie said...

I think you have so much wisdom to share with these young mothers.

I have many verse that have guided me through the years, but here is one that has helped me lately:

When we say: I can't figure things out

He says: I will direct your steps

Proverbs 3: 5-6
Trust in the Lord with all your heart and do not lean on your own understanding
In all your ways acknowledge Him, and He will make straight your path